Corporate Counsel, Legal Affairs, Sales & Marketing (4-7 years)
Welk Resort Group, Inc. (WRG) is a premier provider of points-based, luxury, vacation ownership products and services. Founded in 1964, by famous band leader and television celebrity Lawrence Welk, WRG currently operates six vacation resorts in five areas: San Diego CA, Palm Springs CA, Lake Tahoe CA, Branson MO, and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. WRG also develops commercial resort properties, makes acquisitions, markets and sells vacation ownership/travel products and services, manages resorts, provides purchase financing, and offers an online discount travel platform (
You will report to the Vice President, Legal Affairs, Sales and Marketing, and will be located at the company headquarters in San Marcos, CA. Responsibilities include providing counsel and training to the Sales and Marketing teams, digital marketing team, and other consumer facing business groups. From a consumer protection perspective, you will ensure all consumer facing materials are clear, contain adequate disclosures, and comply with all state and federal consumer protection laws. From a compliance perspective, you will appreciate the full cycle of a new program, from crafting the parameters of the program, to proper training and rollout, to creating systems that ensure the parameters are followed after the program has launched. Responsibilities will include supporting the Company s business quality assurance teams, such as the contract verification officers, customer complaint center, and internal auditing teams. This is a rare opportunity for an attorney to work on the front-end of a business, partnering with the business teams to build, train, monitor, and enhance significant projects and initiatives for the company.
You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to quickly learn new areas of law, and independently function in a demanding, fast-paced environment. We re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity, fast pace, and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise. You must be a strong team player, service oriented, and have a can-do attitude. Other duties as assigned, some travel required.
Qualifications and requirements:
- 4-7 years of consumer protection, marketing and advertising, and/or compliance experience, including at a top law firm; in-house, particularly in the hospitality industry, is a plus.
- Experience preparing training and consumer facing materials.
- Experience with California B&P 17200 and 17500, digital commerce, and data privacy laws. Experience working with California VOTA laws is a plus.
- Experience providing pragmatic day to day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; outstanding legal researcher, with strong (practical) analytical skills.
- Stay updated on relevant industry and consumer protection laws, and disseminate information to relevant team members quickly and effectively.
- Self-starter who demonstrates superior interpersonal skills, ownership/accountability for projects, and enjoys working across departments.
- Strong judgment in balancing competing projects and sensitivity to competing demands faced by colleagues.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and matter management applications.
- JD from a top tier law school; MBA is a plus.
- California bar or admission as Registered In-House Counsel.
- LOCAL CANDIDATES PREFERRED
Your cover letter, resume, list of 3 references, and writing sample should demonstrate that you have the qualifications listed above.
Competitive compensation package includes salary, bonus, ESOP, 401k, health, dental and a full range of benefits.
Company DescriptionWelk Resorts is a dynamic, growing, respected leader in the vacation ownership industry. Privately-held, Welk currently operates five resort properties in the U.S. and Mexico, with expansion started in Breckenridge, Colorado and future plans to expand in Kauai, Hawaii. In addition, the Experience Collection by Welk Resorts features another twelve resort locations and counting for you to explore. Competitive compensation package includes base, incentive pay, 401k, Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP), full range of health benefits and resort privileges. Welk is a fun place to work and our mission gives you the Freedom to Explore, Your Way.