Brown University seeks an innovative, creative thinker with expertise in managing all facets of producing a high-quality publication to assume the role of Editor and Publisher of the Brown Alumni Magazine (BAM). The Editor and Publisher will have excellent editing, writing and storytelling skills and will develop, direct and manage both the editorial and graphic elements of the magazine, a quarterly with an audited circulation of 116,000 that is one of the premiere publications produced by the University.
The Editor and Publisher is part of a collaborative leadership team in the Office of University Communications that considers issues of the University's positioning among the important constituency of alumni, parents and friends. Reporting to the Vice President for Communications, the Editor and Publisher leads a staff of six professionals responsible for the writing, editing, advertising, art direction and production of the Brown Alumni Magazine. This includes overseeing the management of contracts with freelance writers, editors, illustrators and photographers, as well as relationships with the generations of alumni who contribute their news and letters to the BAM. The Editor and Publisher also maintains important relationships with Alumni Relations, the Brown Alumni Association and an independent advisory board of alumni who help represent the interests of alumni and support the editor in advancing best practices for a quality magazine. The Editor and Publisher must work well with diverse audiences and represent the University's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include determining the content of the print and online magazine; conceptualizing, writing and editing stories; collecting and curating alumni news; understanding the emerging priorities of Brown University; identifying and contracting with freelance writers and artists; supervising design; overseeing the magazine's social media presence; leading and managing the creative and production functions of the magazine; guiding the professional development of magazine staff; and overseeing the magazine's budget. The Editor and Publisher oversees a budget that is majority-funded by the University and supported by fundraising and advertising managed by the BAM.
The Editor and Publisher is responsible for directing the BAM's continued evolution as it seeks to deepen the connections among all elements of the University community, keeping Brown relevant to readers as they and their alma mater continue to develop and change.
Responsibilities to Include:
Strategic editorial planning and implementation
- Work with editorial staff and alumni board of editors to maintain a clear and consistent magazine identity.
- Work with editorial and art staff and independent contractors (as needed) to ensure highest possible editorial and visual quality and reader engagement.
Development of magazine print and digital content with compelling stories, inviting design, published on a regular production schedule for print and an ongoing basis for web and digital. Work with BAM staff to develop and maintain a digital presence that takes advantage of emerging interactive technologies to both present and enhance the content of the magazine.
- Work with editorial, design, and production staff, as well as, independent contractors (writers, photographers, proofreaders, illustrators, and printers) to determine, assign, write, and/or edit a varied and balanced mix of stories in each issue.
- Supervise art director in developing appropriate and visually exciting layouts for the magazine in print and online.
- Work with the production staff and printer to ensure timely and cost-effective production.
- Work with advertising sales agent on layout and design of ads.
- Collect and curate alumni news.
- Oversee the magazine's social media presence to ensure interactive engagement among readers.
Strategic financial planning and financial oversight for the magazine
Develop issue-to-issue advertising approach, implement fundraising strategy, and negotiate and supervise major printer contract
Researching and writing feature and other articles
- Utilizing on-and-off-campus contacts to develop story ideas and identify interview subjects, conduct interviews, and write articles. Travel for off-campus interviews and for occasional meetings or events with alumni groups as necessary.
Promote mission of the magazine
- Develop collaborative relationships with key administrators and faculty. Build consensus among key campus and alumni stakeholders.
- A minimum of 10 years experience editing and writing for magazines.
- A minimum of seven years experience managing a staff.
- A minimum of five years of publishing experience, including extensive involvement in ad sales, printer-contract negotiations, direct-mail fundraising, and budget oversight.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Expertise in design, production and printing procedures and standards.
- Excellent writing, editing and storytelling skills, including expert knowledge of Associated Press, Chicago and MLA writing standards.
- Strong proficiency with the principles of magazine journalism.
- Experience working with print and other vendors, including managing vendor contracts.
- Experience with digital and social media engagement, including engagement analytics.
- Extensive contacts among professional journalists and magazine editors.
- Broad interest in and knowledge of issues affecting higher education.
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff.
In addition to excellent editing and writing skills, this position requires familiarity with principles of magazine journalism; interest in higher-education issues; expertise in such publishing functions as advertising sales, printer negotiations, and fund-raising; ability to communicate and interact well with highly educated constituencies; fastidious attention to detail: and diplomacy in dealing with a wide variety of people on- and off-campus.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal and education records check satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2018-02-22-08:00
Job Posting Title:Editor & Publisher
Department:Office of University Communications
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact ...@brown.edu.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.