Turning challenges into opportunities
In the 21st century, we face many challenges: urban growth, limited resources and the need to adapt to a changing climate. Arup is rising to these challenges by bringing together experts from diverse disciplines to ambitiously reimagine the City. Our mission is to develop innovations today that keep cities sustainable and resilient long into the future. Arup's Transportation planning team is crucial to this effort. Through our work on notable transportation projects, like San Francisco's Transbay Terminal, California High Speed Rail, the BART extension to San Jose, the renewal of the Long Beach Civic Center, or planning California's newest UC campus we continue to build a reputation for visionary planning and helping California grow and prosper in the 21st Century.
Arup's Los Angeles office is currently hiring a Transportation Planning Practice Leader to help us establish our transportation planning practice in Southern California based out of Los Angeles. This is a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to start at the ground level and shape a planning strategy for the Los Angeles market that complements Arup's regional goals, advances your ambitions as a leader and helps Arup help Southern California thrive. In this position, you will build an integrated team of planners, engineers and designers, play an active role in identifying new projects, and foster relationships with public and private clients in the area. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate on groundbreaking national and international projects. We shape a better world through local, regional and international collaborations.
In this Associate Principal to Principal-level role, you will be a key member of the LA leadership team, and will work in partnership with team leaders in San Francisco, Toronto, and New York to expand Arup's planning presence throughout North America. This unique chance to start up a practice in a growing market offers huge potential. To be successful, you must have a strong vision for building an integrated transportation planning business, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment that prioritizes design excellence and multi-disciplinary collaboration.
As Transportation Planning Practice Leader, your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating and implementing an ambitious regional growth strategy
- Winning work in the local market
- Developing a Planning Team offering: transportation planning services, transportation engineering, multimodal corridor studies, travel demand management methods, pedestrian planning techniques, micro simulation models, urban design strategies, landscape architecture services, and urban planning services. This includes hiring key staff to lead practice areas in Transportation, ITS, Intelligent Mobility, Urban planning and Design and Wayfinding and User Experience.
- Business development activities, including: identifying clients, developing networks, positioning Arup to win transportation planning, traffic engineering, urban design and urban planning projects, and advancing the Arup brand in Southern California by representing us at major professional industry organizations
- Serving as Project Director for major projects, providing oversight to Project Managers, technical leadership and QA/QC
- Working in partnership with other offices on transportation planning, urban planning, urban design and traffic engineering projects
To be considered, you must have:
- Master's Degree is Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Engineering, or related field is preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of experience serving in increasingly challenging roles on major projects
- Minimum of 6 years of experience:
- Establishing a pipeline of work, developing new business, and winning projects
- Serving as a technical expert on major project teams
- Working within or for a transportation system operator performing planning for pedestrian, cycle, vehicular, and transit (rail and bus) systems
- Working with technology companies or transportation service providers to develop technology systems and services that optimize network performance, and/or provide reliable information to the traveling public
- Analyzing traffic movement and deploying appropriate technology to manage demands
The successful candidate should also have:
- Record of successfully delivering projects within scope, schedule, and budget
- Experience leading large teams, and growing and advancing team capabilities and offerings
- Innovative leadership style and commitment to quality
- Ability to balance operational and business development priorities in a seller/doer environment
- Proven technical expertise in the field of transportation planning or engineering
- Success developing and delivering plans, projects and programs in the planning field
- Planning and organizational skills required to keep pace with a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment