Senior Marketing Manager, Direct Response
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
New York, NY
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $350 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization and allow MSF to carry out its mission effectively and efficiently.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels in order to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities and concerns, expertise and values.
As Senior Marketing Manager for Direct Response, you will use authentic on-brand storytelling and data-and-research-driven strategy to bring our work to life for our donors. Your priority will be to raise millions of dollars in unrestricted funds each year by increasing donor retention and lifetime value, and by acquiring valuable new donors.
You’re a collaborative team player with vision, determination, and creativity. You have an analytical, curious, and insightful mind. You’re an experienced direct response marketer who likes to win, and has a proven ability to get big results. You believe in, and will champion, an omnichannel marketing approach centered around the donor experience. You practice brilliant execution - on quality, on brand, on time, and on budget.
You will play a critical role on an energetic, collaborative, and innovative team dedicated to taking our marketing to the next level.
On any given day, you might be:
• Interviewing a surgeon just returned from a conflict zone to get the critical messages we need for a successful, integrated online/offline campaign
• Analyzing and reporting on results to produce actionable insights and forecast revenue
• Reviewing creative and providing feedback on copy, photography, and design
• Running an ideation workshop to produce new retention tactics
• Collaborating with our direct response agency to map out a package testing and social media matching strategy that will move the needle in a big way
• Developing an innovative audience acquisition plan with our list brokerage agency
• Giving effective creative direction to freelance copywriters and graphic designers
• Presenting to our team insights from a recent marketing conference you attended
I. Job Functions and Responsibilities
Mail Program Creative, Retention and Acquisition Leader:
• You will lead strategy, creative, testing, execution, budgeting, and analysis for our biggest revenue-generating program and acquisition source: direct mail. You will own strategy and execution for mail acquisition and for entry-level donor segments.
• You will serve as mail program creative director. You’re a master editor and expert on copywriting and messaging, with a strong eye for graphic design and photography.
• You will collaborate closely on integrated campaigns with our digital marketing managers, and mid-level and sustainer audience managers.
• You will set, track, and report on program goals. You will work with our data team to ensure we have accurate data, and with our analytics firm to dig for actionable insights.
Creative and Content Strategist: You will be a critical voice at the table for content, design, and messaging strategy across all channels: digital, video, radio, outdoor, PSAs, events and more.
Creative and Production Unit Leader: You will lead and mentor the Marketing Manager for Creative and Production and the Marketing Associate. You will manage our biggest direct response agency and production relationships, and advise on creative direction with our pool of freelance designers and copywriters. You're a roll-up-your-sleeves leader who stays involved.
Forward-thinking and donor-centric. You propose creative tests, keep up with industry trends and are always searching for new and better ways to resonate with our audiences. You will work to have a conversation with the donors, and not at them, in order to drive loyalty.
• 8+ yrs. relevant experience, including 3+ years direct response marketing experience (direct mail experience strongly preferred). Bachelor’s degree.
• A master editor and skilled copywriter with a strong eye for design and photography. Expert verbal and written communication skills.
• Innate sense of design, language, storytelling and brand. An ability to maintain brand consistency across a wide range of creative deliverables.
• Proven ability to manage staff, vendors and freelancers and lead high-performance teams. Strong leadership and delegation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to develop successful acquisition and retention strategies.
• Demonstrated ability to produce effective program and project documentation, such as strategy documents, creative briefs, project plans, wrap-up reports, KPI reports
• Comfortable in an “all-hands-on-deck” environment, able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams, and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
• A strong head for data and analytics. A wizard in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Familiarity with complex data segmentation.
• Commitment to the principles of MSF, passion for MSF’s mission and brand.
• A creative problem solver.
• Non-profit and/or fundraising experience.
• Extensive direct mail experience.
• Advanced knowledge of graphic design and print production.
Open ended Contract
Starting salary mid 80s to low 90s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date:
12, February 2018
Working Time %:
How to Apply:
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Attn: Senior Direct Marketing Manager, Direct Response.” Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application deadline: January 29, 2018