Chief Marketing Officer
The American Camp Association is a community of camp professionals who, for over 100 years have joined together to share our knowledge and experience and to ensure the quality of camp programs. Because of our diverse 12,000 plus membership and our exceptional programs, children and adults have the opportunity to learn powerful lessons in community, character-building, skill development, and healthy living – lessons that can be learned nowhere else.
The Chief Marketing Officer is the chief architect of our brand voice and all campaigns, bringing expertise, innovation and coherence to the design of an integrated overarching marketing strategy to which all of our content, social media & digital, partnerships and communications align. The Chief Marketing Officer will engineer how we engage with the national camping movement, parents and campers, media and the general public with an implementable strategy for reaching more diverse audiences, an understanding of what users want and providing a clear path to actively engage with ACA, supporting the CEO and critical stakeholders to grow and expand our work.
Ideal candidates are expert brand and communication developers with tremendous vision around content, voice and cause-related marketing, who can recruit key influencers, strategic partners and potential funders, while developing a broad coalition of allies and advocates to help us establish our position in key demographics and in the general public as the standard for safety and quality in camp experiences. In addition, candidates will be experienced in developing a clear voice and implementing individual systems to support communication to internal stakeholders, volunteers and external audiences.
- Ideally, over 15 years professional experience in both nonprofit and for-profit brand development, content creation, marketing, public relations, communications, agency management, and team management.
- Strategic planner, trend researcher, and capable of visionary ideation. Experienced in developing and communicating marketing strategy to key stakeholders consistently to gain buy-in and understanding of the American Camp Association brand. Goals and metrics focused.
- Proven track record of helping a brand expand overall awareness and consumer base.
- Extensive experience with content creation across formats (print, digital, social media, short and long format film, books, podcasts, blogs, etc.), and demonstrated creativity in innovative approaches to content to expand, diversify, and meet consumers where they are; goals and metrics focused.
· Understands business development and business innovation through integrated brand partnerships, licensing, and development opportunities throughout the business cycle. Strong understanding of product development lifecycles, strong event management, and development-focused marketing strategies.
- Track record of successfully managing agency relationships and building partnerships to grow reach.
- Polished communicator and excellent writer, able to effectively articulate the position and role of the Association to many distinct and diverse audiences.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel.
- Successful experience in writing press releases, making presentations, and negotiating with vendors.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces innovation and can quickly pivot as needed.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Brings credibility, access, and existing authentic relationships to be leveraged to advance the Association’s position with the general public; experience building content marketing strategies that maximize reach across channels and to diverse audiences.
- Passion for youth development. To work at ACA requires that you are passionate about our mission, vision, ends, and strategic plans. Belief in our cause is not just a job duty, but also a personality trait.
- Ability to lead to volunteers, ensure standard operating procedures are in place, and support volunteers in their work to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Works cohesively across all ACA regions.
- A regular presence in the Martinsville office is required, in addition to occasional overnight travel to other locations.
- Virtual worker team player. Treats other team members with respect and consideration by remaining in regular communication with team members; participates in setting or realigning project milestones and activities to meet team goals; fulfills commitments to others; contributes skills, ideas, and feedback; and initiates contact when physical isolation creates problems in the completion of work or in working relationships.
- Virtual worker productivity. Establishes a pattern of working independently; makes and fulfills commitments to work and personal life independently of one another according to available time; meets or exceeds productivity standards for position; takes proactive approach to anticipate and prevent problems and manages interruptions; prioritizes tasks, plans time, and focuses on goals.
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) required; Masters in Marketing, MBA, degree in a related field or equivalent work experience preferred