Position Title: Marketing and Visibility Manager
Reports to:Co-Director, Communications Department
Salary: $90,000-$120,000 (DOE)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Position No: 5387
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
WestEd's Communications Department provides a wide range of support to help the agency accomplish its mission, in part by raising its visibility and broadening its reach. Department support includes working with program staff to develop and/or disseminate useful research-based knowledge products, services, and other resources; producing collateral materials for the agency and individual projects; continuously improving and populating WestEd.org and other agency web properties; operating a full-service publishing house for in-house authors; representing WestEd and its work at conferences and in other venues; managing public and media relations; and leading agency marketing.
The Communications Department is seeking a highly skilled and experienced professional to lead and help implement WestEd’s marketing, visibility, and dissemination efforts at the agency and programmatic levels.
This position is responsible for WestEd’s branding; promotion; public and media relations, getting new knowledge into the field; and marketing. The work of the new manager will have a particular focus on planning and management of integrated marketing campaigns for high-priority WestEd services.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with Communications Department colleagues, as well as with key staff in the offices of the Chief Executive Officer, Institutional Development, and Program Services, which oversees the agency’s programmatic work. The individual also will work closely with program and project staff throughout the agency.
• Plan, lead, and help implement WestEd’s marketing, visibility, and dissemination initiatives at the agency and programmatic levels.
• Collaborate with Communications Department colleagues to implement the strategic and integrated use of communications tools (e.g., print, email, social media, WestEd.org, events) to heighten visibility and extend the reach of the agency within and across our target audiences, including current and potential clients and funders; develop new channels for marketing and dissemination purposes.
• Lead and participate in WestEd’s marketing team to help the agency and its projects meet specific sales goals; strategize on an ongoing basis about how to improve and make best use of existing tools or add new ones; regularly reflect on how to make the team more effective and efficient as WestEd’s marketing needs grow along with the agency itself.
• Continue to educate staff on the importance of the WestEd brand and how to maintain it through their own work.
• Identify, track, and analyze key outcome metrics for our various marketing and outreach efforts, and use analysis results to guide ongoing work, including improving the engagement of our target audiences.
• Lead the development of tools and resources to help empower program staff to independently market and disseminate their work.
• Develop new external relationships and partnerships (i.e., channels) to advance our marketing and dissemination efforts.
• Serve as WestEd’s primary media point person, making connections with reporters, bloggers, and podcasters as appropriate; coordinate WestEd’s media responses; actively tracking and maintaining data on WestEd’s media exposure.
• Collaborate with others on strategic conference presence and presentations; represent WestEd at events and conferences as appropriate.
• Write and/or edit marketing and other outreach materials, including but not limited to brochure copy, web-based promotional copy, email campaign content, press releases, product catalog text, and event descriptions.
Applicant must have:
• Extensive experience of proven effectiveness in marketing, promotion or visibility campaigns, and knowledge dissemination, including planning and carrying out integrated marketing campaigns; strategic branding; the strategic use of social media, website development, and other communications tactics; and public and media relations.
• Experience tracking and analyzing the success of marketing and outreach efforts – determining what metrics are most useful for measuring the success of any communication effort; collecting, analyzing, reporting on, and using the resulting data to guide future action.
• Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree in relevant field a plus).
Applicant must be:
• A strategic thinker: comfortable and skilled in working with long-range goals and formulating communications plans and strategies for achieving them.
• Able to quickly grasp and distill complex new information.
• An excellent oral and written communicator, able to represent the organization and its work intelligently and engagingly to target audiences for particular purposes.
• An energetic self-starter who is able to work independently or collaboratively as needed.
• A team player, a people person: able to work effectively with individuals in a wide variety of roles within the agency and externally.
• Flexible, with excellent organizational skills; able to track and advance multiple projects with shifting and/or competing deadlines, which requires the ability to multitask, to continually adjust priorities, and to remain calm in a deadline-driven environment.
• Willing to keep abreast of new tools that could be used to advance WestEd marketing, visibility and dissemination efforts
• Able to travel when the job requires.
• Familiar with using Marketo, SalesForce, Meltwater, PowerPoint, Excel, MailChimp, Cision, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Hootsuite
• Able to write simple HTML text
Ideally, the applicant will be:
• Familiar with the fields in which WestEd works (e.g., preK–16 education, human development, assessment, professional development, justice).
• Experienced with video and podcast development; advertising.
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email email@example.com.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.Benefits Highlights
- All health benefits effective first of the month following date of hire
- 15% contribution toward retirement effective day one of employment
- 15 vacation days, which will increase to 20 days per year beginning the 4th year of employment
- 12 holidays
- 12 days sick leave per year
- Employee Discounted Parking on-site
- Enjoy dining in SOMA restaurants near by