The Project Accountant works with the Senior Project Accountant and Controller to oversee all financial aspects of the client engagement including revenue recognition, project profitability, invoicing and collection. They partner with the Project Team on every engagement to help streamline the entire finance function from start to finish. They report to the Senior Project Accountant and work closely with the CFO and Controller on all client-related finance needs including Audit, Accounting System, and special projects.
The work you’ll do:
- Work as a strategic partner to Principals and Program Managers, obtaining a deep understanding of each client engagement, proactively acquiring all necessary documents needed to begin client work, recording and reporting revenue recognition, accurately measuring and reporting on project profitability, partnering with Project Managers for monthly project metric reviews, and invoicing and collecting project fees and expenses.
- Assist in accounting system administration and maintenance, including job codes, project resources and budgets, and time reporting.
- Train and work with Program Managers on how to use the system, help develop ways to improve the user experience, and be a key part of all decisions to upgrade existing system.
- Act as a key contributor to the monthly close preparing Revenue Journal Entries and Work-in-Process Reports.
- Work closely with the CFO and Controller throughout the month on revenue recognition and on special projects.
- Liaise with outside auditors and Controller during Annual Audit
What makes you successful at SYP:
- You demonstrate courage and optimism in the face of ambiguous challenges, for which there are no obvious answers.
- You’re a natural storyteller who communicates clearly and compellingly—whether it’s through excellent writing and verbal skills, or visual design skills.
- You’re curious and passionate about business—the rhythms and dynamics that make it work, across a wide range of industries.
- You believe in the power of great design to bring ideas to life and mobilize people to do great things.
- You bring a fusion of systems thinking and creativity in your ability to generate original ideas, solve complex problems, and understand all the forces required to effect change.
- You love collaborating in teams of diverse talents and skills.
- You’re a voracious learner, using your time at SYP to build mastery around the skills you need in both your work and life.
- You lead with humanity and generosity. Your intent with all your work is to create positive impact—for your client, each other, SYPartners, and beyond.
- BA or similar in Accounting or Finance preferred
- Experience working in a creative environment preferably industry related
- Strong experience with accounting software, particularly project accounting and reporting
- Knowledge of Intacct Accounting software a plus
- 3 – 5 years of progressive accounting experience
- Personable, willing to work with people at all levels of the organization
- Great verbal and written skills
- Extremely detail oriented Systems thinking – enjoy making process improvements
- Advanced Excel skills
Please apply directly online: https://www.sypartners.com/career/project-accountant-2/